Our skin doesn’t only need to be cleansed – it needs good regular exfoliation too. When was the last time you scrubbed your face? Scratching your head trying to remember? If you are, your skin is missing out!
So why is it so important to exfoliate? Our skin is constantly generating new cells at its lower layer (or ‘dermis’). These cells migrate to the surface of the skin (or ‘epidermis’), usually in 30 days. During the journey they become saturated with keratin – essential to help protect our skin – and then naturally slough off. If the process happens too slowly, these keratin-rich cells build up and can prevent younger and fresher skin underneath from receiving all the nutrients it needs.
This is where exfoliation comes in! Regular exfoliation can prevent common skin complaints like dryness, roughness, or a dull appearance. It can help unclog pores and reduce the presence of bacteria often responsible for acne breakouts. It is a good habit to develop early in life and keep up, as cell turnover slows down with age.
Can you overdo it? Yes: like everything exfoliating should be done in moderation: once a week should be enough from head to toe, and if you must exfoliate your face twice a week, use a gentle product without any harsh or artificial ingredients. We have just released our Gentle Clay Facial Exfoliant, made only with all natural and certified organic ingredients – we trust our skin with it and hope you will give it a go!
- Skin exfoliation is vital to keep skin looking glowing and healthy.
- Always cleanse your skin before exfoliating.
- Take particular care when exfoliating the delicate skin of your face: do not scrub too harshly and only exfoliate once to twice a week.
- Never use body scrubs on the face. The skin on the face is too delicate.
- Use a good quality natural scrub without artificial chemicals: they can irritate and damage your fresh and delicate new skin.
- Chemical peels are very aggressive on the skin and can remove too much of its protective layer. Frequent gentle exfoliation is a much safer and better way to care for your skin.
- Exfoliation is as important for men as it is for women! It exposes the hair follicles and cleans and unclogs the pores – which can help prepare the skin for shaving.
- Over-exfoliating can dry and irritate the skin and lead to premature skin ageing.
- Do not exfoliate before going out in the sun – new fresh skin is too delicate. And remember sunscreen (with all-natural ingredients and without artificial chemicals please).
- Always follow exfoliation with a natural moisturiser, serum or treatment oil to give it all the vitamins and minerals it needs to glow!